Being injured in a truck accident can have devastating consequences for your future. Trying to sort out all of the details after such a serious wreck can be overwhelming for anyone but being able to turn to a San Francisco truck accident lawyer can help you figure out the next steps you need to take to protect your rights.
According to the FMCSA, the great majority of trucking accidents in the United States are caused by an error made by the truck driver. The consistent demand across the trucking industry sometimes means that truck drivers are overworked, not appropriately supervised, or poorly trained when it comes to managing what can be deadly vehicles. Truck drivers are professional drivers who must adhere to strict commercial standards to maintain their license.
The most common reasons behind driver errors that can contribute to trucking accidents include:
- Overperformance, overcompensation, or exertion of poor directional control of the rig.
- Poor decision making, such as speeding or following other vehicles too closely.
- Failing to recognize and adapt to the driving situation at hand, such as not paying attention.
- Nonperformance, including a trucker falling asleep at the wheel, being disabled by a health condition that should have been flagged in advance, or the trucker being affected by a physical impairment that can impede their ability to drive.
- Other common factors that can contribute to the severity or occurrence of trucking accidents include brake problems, taking over-the-counter medication, driver fatigue, inadequate surveillance, traveling too fast for road conditions, and interruption in traffic flow.
If you or someone you know has already been hurt in a serious San Francisco truck accident, schedule a consultation with a personal injury lawyer as your next step.