Whether you are heading out for the holidays to spend time with your loved ones or are preparing for a long road trip over the course of a vacation, having these tips in the back of your mind will help you enjoy the trip more and minimize your chances of being involved in a serious accident. Getting tired behind the wheel is one of the leading reasons why people end up being hurt in a crash.
Overtime, as you get more tired, you’ll be less focused on your surroundings and less able to adapt to changing traffic conditions. Take regular breaks, use coffee and consider sharing the drive with another person to decrease the chances of a drowsy driving accident.
Some other tips that can help you with your long road trip planning include:
- Have a backup form of maps and chart your course on GPS before heading out so you know what to expect.
- Always carry an emergency bag with supplies.
- Let someone not going on a trip with you know where and when you’ll be so that they can reach out to communicate with you if there are problems or if you drop out of communication.
- Consider purchasing a roadside assistance plan so that you have support in the event of a blown tire or other car related issue.
- Always make sure that you plan in plenty of time for stopping to take a nap, stretch your legs or consuming a meal. This can help rejuvenate you during a long road trip and cut down on the chances that you could end up on the side of the road seriously hurt.
- Get your car checked out by a mechanic prior to leaving from home. This will alert you to any problems and give you the opportunity to correct issues before you hit the road.
If you have already been hurt in a serious accident while on a long road trip across California, consider a consultation with an experienced San Francisco personal injury lawyer immediately.